Main objective of this division is to protect fishing community by way of providing radio communication transmission facilities in between fishing vessels engaged in fishing operations in and off the Exclusive Economic Zone of Sri Lanka and the land ,rescuing fishermen and fishing crafts affected due to the engine trouble , accidents and falling sick at the sea, lifesaving and taking any other urgent preventive measures and facilitating to claim insurance cover in accidents encountered by boats and fishermen.
Responsibility and Role
- Providing communication facilities for the exchange of radio signals in between land and vessels, and also carrying out such work.
- Making arrangements to issue licences for communication purposes to the fishing vessels.
- Taking action to claim insurance cover in accidents faced by boats and fishers
- Rescue of fishermen & fishing crafts arrested in foreign countries and repatriation of them to the country.
- Rescue of fishing boats stranded in local & international waters and at the sea belonging to foreign countries.
- Activation of the first vessel monitoring system.