This is one of the latest division established under the Department of Fisheries. Main functions of the division are;
- Provision of technical support for the promotion activities related to the department
- Provide Internet facility and email services to departmental staff
- Databases and software development required by divisions of the Department
- Organizing training of trainers to enhance computer literacy in the staff sector
- Coordination with ICTA/MTDI
- Maintenance and Supervision of local area network of the Department.
- Supervising the preparation of specifications for setting up the computer and technical equipment and providing technical recommendations when necessary.
- Reporting and management of computerized applications of the department
- Provision of technical assistance to monitoring and operations of vessels
- Scientific observation activities performed through skippers
- Maintaining the logbook database and handling and electronic log database.
- Analyze log and fish products data and provide them to relevant sections
- Analysis and Reporting of Scientific Data of Vessel Monitoring
- Provide technical support to the fish finding and forecasting system
- Conducting Business Process Reengineering study and provide a recommendation to the Director General of the department
Vessel Monitoring System
Instant monitoring and reporting of about 1500 multi-day fishing vessels engaged in fishing in international seas registered under the Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources through the vessel monitoring system operating using satellite technology, in accordance with international maritime laws and conventions.
Through the Vessel Monitoring System established under the Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, automatic monitoring of the position of fishing vessels at sea by the vessel monitoring studio.
- Installation of vessel monitoring equipment for multi-day fishing vessels.
- Conduct awareness programs for fishing vessel owners and skippers.
- By getting updated information every four hours daily
- Reporting of information related to malfunctions of vessel monitoring equipment.
- Information reporting on maritime violations in other countries.
- Distress signal testing
- Receiving reports at 7.00 am, 2.00 pm and 10.00 pm under the following information.
- Record of arrival of fishing vessels in port and obtaining maps of each boat.
- Obtaining report of fishing vessels approaching port limits within 48 kms.
- Obtaining the report of vessels that are out of service within a short period of time.
- Obtaining the report of the fishing vessels in violation of the border.
- Obtaining the report of fishing vessels departing the port.
- Obtaining report of battery disconnections.
- After two days of disconnection of the battery, getting the report of the disconnection of the battery inside it as well.
- Getting the battery recovery report.
- Obtaining the report of idle vessels over a period of time.