Main objective of the division is to maintain the lagoon and estuary ecosystem of Sri Lanka in a sustainable manner, through conservation and development of lagoons, by further identifying the existing potentialities in the sector and formulating necessary legal system in that behalf thereby making a considerable contribution to the food security and ensuring the sustainability of and improvement in livelihood of lagoon fishers.
- Delimitation of boundaries of lagoons and estuaries of Sri Lanka and preparation of maps with GPS readings.
- Designating lagoons and estuaries of Sri Lanka as management areas based on the maps with GPS readings by Gazette Notifications.
- Establishment of Lagoon Management Committees for each lagoon and publishing the same by Gazettes.
- Establishment of Fisheries and Management Partnership Committees for every committee with the participation of all parties and formulating fisheries development and management plans for the sustainable development of such lagoons.
- Releasing fingerlings into lagoons – Making aware of fisheries officers and lagoon fishermen about the management of brackish water reservoirs.