Our Vision To provide an optimum contribution to the national economy through strengthening the socio–economic status of the fisher communities while maintaining the fisheries and aquatic resources in a sustainable manner.
Our Mission Management of fisheries and aquatic resources by adopting new technologies in compliance with the national and international laws and treaties for the productive contribution to the Sri Lankan economy through sustainable development of fishing industry.
Strategies of the Department of Fisheries
1. Implementation of the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act, No.02 of 1996 and the Fisheries (Regulation of Foreign Boats) Act, No. 59 of 1979 in
accordance with current trends and international laws and conventions.
2. The creation of an enabling environment to attract investment from foreign and local business community for the development of fisheries sector.
3. The active coordination with related institutions in introducing new technology for the development of fishing industry.
4. Establishment of an IT-based extension service in support of local and foreign funded projects and community development programmes and
disseminates the results of scientific studies and researches to the fishing community.
5. Promotion of the participation of fisher community in planning and management of fisheries resource development programmes and projects in
collaboration with government, non-government and community organizations.
6. Strengthening of institutional arrangements for improving infrastructure facilities and provision of training for minimizing post-harvest losses and
upgrading the quality and standards of locally marketed as well as exported fishery products.
7. Provide necessary incentives to obtain total commitment and support of fisher women and men for uplifting the social and economic status of