Reduction of the Fuel prices
- HE The President Mahinda Rajapaksa announced the reduction of prices at the inauguration of Unit II of the Norochcholai Power Plant.
- The price of kerosene was reduced by 20 rupees per liter.
- Price of a liter of petrol will be reduced by five rupees and while the price of a diesel liter is reduced by three rupees.
The reduction will benefits fishermen around the country as 95% of the mechanized fisheries boats are operated by Kerosene oil and rest is operated by diesel.
- Click here for more details;
The Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act No. 2 of 1996 is amended
The Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act, No. 2 of 1996, is amended with effected from November 2013 in order to comply with the latest international resolutions and requirements related to responsible fishing and giving the department more control over IUU activities in the fisheries sector in Sri Lanka. Several sections of the act is modified on following aspects
- Fishing boat registration and licenses
- Fishing on overseas waters
- Fishing management areas and fisheries co-management
New Accident reporting System
DFAR introduced a web based accident reporting System, which help maintaining reliable official fisheries accident data base to get the information for those who are in need such data, for the processers like disaster management and insurances. Please visit http://www.fisheriesdept.gov.lk/fisheries_beta/index.php/reported-accident-at-sea for more info.